Monday, July 25, 2011

On the train...

Today was my first day doing a one-day trip to center city for a committee meeting. On the one hand these meetings are good experience--a mix of two languages, lots of terminology I don't know, a chance to get to know people from different parts of the island, etc. On the other hand, I always struggle with the business vocab (words like "awning," "utilities," etc.) and I'm not able to contribute a lot to the questions at hand. Stilll, I'm almost back home and door-to-door it'll have been about eight hours. I like the high speed train.

Other good news... Eva's up to 6.6 kg! Yes, this makes us very happy. I don't know what's doing it. I keep hoping this was all just teething. She's already got two in and I think the next two will be in soon. She's eating tons of food and we're trying lots of potassium rich things, just in case. I'm getting slightly better at giving medicine, but, wow, it would be really nice if we don't have to inject medicines two a day (or more) for the foreseeable future.

I'm also trying to figure out how timing will affect all of this. In theory, when they're doing the testing they should be starting with the likeliest syndrome and then moving on to the others, something like 3, 1, 2, 4, 5 and then G's. If it takes a few weeks it may mean they're not finding anything. I think Emily and I were both ready to believe she had this the last few days, but now, to borrow the words of my cousin Mary, maybe she was just faking it.

We still feel like we're a little bit rocky at this whole parenting thing. Emily texted me today because she had trouble getting Sam to go to school. We spent a fair amount of time together yesterday, but it is hard to get one on one with each kid, have a house that isn't a total pit, and do some work. And we're feelilng a bit distracted with daily life right now.

I think we could use a vacation. Maybe one weekend we could hop the high speed train out of town and get a couple of days somewhere nice. I'm not quite sure how this would look, but I'm thinking it would be good for our state of mind.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I should have said the injections are using those little disposable syringes to give medicine orally. Anyway... All's basically well here. Eva weighed in at 6.65 today.