Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Check-up

Today was Eva's check-up. They decided not to do another blood test, just because she had several last week. I'd prepared questions, but then the doctor did a fairly good job of anticipating them. He showed us Eva's blood results from Saturday, when she'd been in the hospital on IV's for almost the whole week. Her sodium and potassium were in the lower end of the normal range, she had slightly low magnesium (which can be a symptom), and she had very high aldosterone levels. I can see why B's is their main guess/diagnosis. The doctor said it should take a week or two to test the blood. I think they basically test each type of B's syndrome, looking at the associated mutations. But then there are probably strains that haven't been identified and there are also people who have the same symptoms (and follow the same basic therapy) but don't show up in the genetic screening. And no doubt there are also many, many people who have just been misdiagnosed (here's hoping).

I'm wanting to blow off language study for the rest of the summer. I'm going to try to stick with it in July, but Emily and I may eventually want to evaluate how much more stress our summer can contain.

Thank you all for following along. We're doing okay. I'm still just tired. When I deal with situations like this, it can really keep me up. I think I've now emailed those who don't read this blog or facebook to let them know what we're working on. I'm grateful for the communities here. I am discovering how patients came to be patients, even if I am feeling a bit impatient with it all.

No comments: