Sunday, January 16, 2011

Great Grandpa and Great Grandma

The three
Eli starts smiling
Bundled up for winter
Sam with bear and hat
Eva takes a bath

I just talked to my grandparents on skype, and was really struck by how much they've seen and how much they've given us as a family. My grandpa just figured out that he is probably the last member of his WW2 group, or soon will be (his old friend is on hospice), and was thinking a bit about how strange it is to still be going after so many have passed on. It was fun to show him his great-grandson (and a relief for me also, as the great-grandson was wearing on his father). My grandmother said that he was always so good to her mother, and perhaps that was why they enjoyed such long life--they were good to their parents.

Technology helps a lot with the distance. I always feel a bit of guilt in being here, but there is joy in it also, and in many ways we are close to family as ever. It's nice that on a sleepness night I can talk to some people who have seen it all.

No comments: