Wednesday, January 5, 2011

All very exciting

It's 11:37 here in Northern Island. I've fed and changed the babies, moved them to their night crib, boiled water for tomorrow and wrapped up some loose ends (while other ends remain as loose as ever). Tomorrow I wrap up my last class (with grading to follow). Today I finished my first week back in language class. I had a real sense of progress today--still a ways to go, but also the sense that I continue to inch forward, and as long as that happens things are rolling in the right direction.

I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed by a big editing project I'm on. And a bit baffled about teaching a week long travel course that I'm not sure I want to be teaching. But, things are coming along.

Other news... we have a possible nanny. This is all strange and crazy to me. I told Emily I don't think I've ever known a nanny. I don't think any of my friends have nannied. I know that long ago, in a very different place, I had a nanny, but it's not really something that middle class America has and it still feels very perplexing to pay someone to help you do what you are supposed to do naturally. On the other hand, we really need help and this may be coming at the perfect time. There are still many logistics to be worked out, and no doubt many cultural lessons and misunderstandings lay ahead of us, but it's a hopeful thing. It would be wonderful if we could raise these kids and also work, study, and write as we are supposed to be doing.

3 comments:

Heidi Haverkamp said...

Boil water? Is your water ok or is this a baby thing?

Go for it with the nanny. My brother and his wife considered a nanny-share for their son, and although it is more an upper class thing in the US, I think if you can do it, it's just a BIG help. Especially, my goodness, for twins + 1!

A travel course sounds intg, but a bit less so with all you guys have going on, I'm sure. When you and Em are retired, I can imagine you leading them together for extra income and for fun, though. For what it's worth,

Jon said...

Water here is supposed to be treated. We boil and then use a brita. It's strange...everyone I know does this, but I don't know people who are sick from drinking the water.

I think probably the nanny will be when or how, not if. But it's still a big adjustment. I'm used to my own space.

The travel course is, I think, cancelled for me. I always feel a little guilty here, however, because if I don't do something someone else has to. It's a hard balance. We want to keep up the energy on language for another semester or two and then move into full-time regular work here. I'm teaching and preaching now, but want to avoid *extra* teaching or the fundraisers, bible studies, etc., that other teachers do. All things in time... How are you guys doing? I miss your blogging.

Sarah S-D said...

i am slowly catching up on blogs in free moments here and there. i am so glad you went for a nanny. i think it all depends what part of the country you're in here. lots of people have nannies in portland, or, of various income levels (obviously middle and higher). Many do nanny shares and just have a nanny a few hours a week or whatever (basically a more expensive and more experienced babysitter that you can rely on.) In any case, you've met my sister, right? Then you've met a nanny! Though before she was actively nannying... kind of... she did some work in high school that was awfully close to nannying for a mom on bedrest.

anyhow... hang in there with the illnesses and transitions and demands... so wish i could be helpful!

much love to all of you!