Thursday, August 14, 2008

Riling the baby, napping the baby



Sam is growing. He's developing more noises and facial expressions and tricks. This morning I woke up earlier than usual because Sam was wide awake, smiling and chipper. He often does this with us. I tend to assume that once he is awake he won't go back to sleep easily, but Emily just picked him up, talked to him soothingly, and pretty soon he was asleep again. It always amazes me--one of my weaknesses as a father is that I can't get the baby down easily. My best bet to get him to sleep is a short burst of crying (where he wears himself out a little and realizes how tired he is), binking, and then napping next to him. It doesn't take long and he is fine once he's down, but it's not as graceful as Emily. She picks him up and he's out.

On the other hand, I also am developing the reputation of being the baby riler. I lift him over head, and play with him on my chest, and make him do little dances and acrobatics. It's a lot of fun.

There's not much else to report on Sam. It was very nice to have Emily's family here. They went to the beach and had a great time. Our apartment is now mostly set up and I am feeling more settled. Being me, there are still long range plans out there, as well as some short range ideas. I'm enjoying reading everyone's blogs. Someday I will get another non-baby blog, for now I am enjoying this.

No comments: