Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas 2013

Christmas 2013

This was a fun Christmas, although our first away from home and family for a while. Last year was US, then before that baptism, then twins just born. This year was a pastiche of traditions: several church-y events, our durable Costco tree, school potluck and services, some back-from-home gifts (trasnformable vtech dinosaurs, lego superheroes, and so on), a Christmas Eve dinner at Chili’s and homecooked meals on Christmas (chicken, a slow cook roast, etc.).

This was the first time the twins began to catch on to everything. At first Eli was confused that he could have more than one present, and so baulked at opening a second (he thought he’d have to give away the first toy). After that it was really fun. I helped Sam assemble a robot that Lex Luthor sits in and they now have lots of mini-figures that are superheroes. I also found the little plastic action figures that Eli loves so much and he has quite a collection now (before we had the DC ones, Superman, Batman and so on, and now we've added Marvel: Wolverine, Iron Man and others).

I’m skipping afternoon work to go see Ender’s Game. I read that book earlier and liked it. No one else in the family is old enough, but I’m happy to go myself. This is one of the traditions I always like.

One thing we’re missing this year is the post-Christmas let down. Next week is back to class for me with syllabi for next semester and some writing projects due very soon. Emily’s really on the hook for dissertation and then this conference. Busy!









No comments: