Friday, July 11, 2008

Moving

We are mostly moved, for now. It's been a pretty hectic few weeks, and we are doing our best to put the pieces together. Some of the highs:

  • a short trip to Annapolis where we met my brother and his kids, my parents, and my aunt and uncle. It was great to get away.
  • huge amounts of help in moving from Emily's family. They basically moved us in three days and cleaned our entire apartment.
  • the school environment seems very good. I like my coworkers, my classes will be okay, and we are getting to know the town.

On the other hand, there were these lows:

  • our cat is apparently supposed to be declawed, which we won't do, in order to live in our apartment. We feel that we were misled about this, and so far I have evaded signing any agreements. We are now at a lull, but this will be a stress for the near future. Our apartment also didn't have keys ready for us on our move in day and has apparently lost one of our checks. This is very, very frustrating. I hope we last here.
  • I'm about at my wits end from the fact that moving never ends. We can't find our utensils. I don't know whether or not to throw out all of the boxes. I think I'll keep what we have left in case this goes badly. I have this nightmare vision where we are loading armloads of stuff into a U-Haul if we have to move again. I have about 0% trust in where we live, which is not a good sign for family harmony.
  • We are really, really tired of commuting back to Old Town. We've done this just about everyday and it looks like it may happen again tomorrow and probably some next week. It's a 3 hour round trip in slow, NJ traffic--ugh!

Sam is doing well. Emily told me just today that he "mostly" turned himself over on his own. He is pretty much a happy, smiley baby boy. He opens his mouth wide with glee if you kiss him on the cheek. He loves mornings. He is working on grasping objects and is now moving them towards his mouth. He's still not bottle feeding great, but seems very well nourished.

That's our news. We should have pictures in the next few days.

3 comments:

more cows than people said...

aie... i hope everything does work out with the apartment. no fun at all it seems to me... grr...

we're on the other side of moving. what we wouldn't give for family to pack us up and clean us out. we hope to finish today, but... eh... not so sure.

we have to pack the truck tomorrow and be out of here by tuesday so... better get hopping.

glad sam is such a sweetie. that helps, right?

more cows than people said...

k is remembering that we stayed with someone once who had plastic caps put on their claws so that they still had the claws, but they weren't able to do any damage. i vaguely remember this. maybe check with a local vet or petco. (((j and e and s)))

Jon said...

Thanks MC! I think this is going to work out. I feel a solidarity with all of us moving--I seem to know dozens right smack in the same place. Ugh... I hope this all settles well.