Saturday, May 31, 2008

Playing Hooky, and Sam in Cinci





I am skipping a family event of Emily's today, but I have been blessed to do so. My job today is to begin apartment hunting, write some letters, and do whatever other work I see fit to do. I'm working on a book proposal (very boring academic book with niche audience) that I hope to finish by the end of the summer.

In terms of Sam, who is the ostensible reason for this blog, we are working on figuring out how to travel well with him. Emily's family is amazingly wonderful--I have great in-laws. And yet this fatherhood thing is throwing me a little, because I am not always wanting to share him. For the last two months on most mornings I've been able to spend three or four hours uninterrupted with him. He alternates napping, a bottle, and some playtime. I really look forward to it. Here I worry that our decisions are being judged (use of a bottle, how I get him to sleep, etc.), even though this probably isn't the case. It is an interesting time, because I am reminded again that (1) Sam doesn't belong to just us, and (2) many people have hopes and dreams for him, and (3) eventually he will be able to decide these things. Emily's family is aesthetic, athletic, and a bit more gregarious. I think under the proper conditions I could be a cave-dwelling, lethargic ascetic (which is basically the academic lifestyle).

What will Sam be? I have no idea. He may get some of the artistic genes. He has runners, and swimmers, and football players in his extended family. He is already a big talker (at least for a baby). On the other hand, he's still sleeping about 18 hours, and both of us really need 8-9 hours of sleep to be functional. He's pretty happy to face-watch, and he naps well on a couch or in your arms. An interesting thing about being around family is that you are aware of how many different gifts adhere to the same lineage, and how different habits and customs there are that he may adopt.

1 comment:

more cows than people said...

great pics.

and i imagine it would be hard to share... and to receive everyone's myriad opinions...

it will be fun to see who he becomes.