Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Baby Class #3

So we had our #3 baby class. It was pretty exciting. We viewed the maternity floor and did another walk through of the birth process. It was fun to be part of a procession of pregnant women. I told Emily it looked like "march of the penguins." A row of waddling women worked its path to the maternity floor. Emily actually looked more able than most of the other women (no holding of back, can walk up and down stairs). She's kept walking and moving and staying active and I think it is paying off.

We checked out lots of books from the library and most have been helpful. (The one exception showed an episiotomy scary--was that really necessary?, I ask you.) I am reading a midwife book also, which is pretty interesting. I had always assumed midwife meant something like "halfway mother" but I learned actually the "mid" is from German "mit" (with), so it's about being "with the mother." I am feeling a little guilty that we are not midwifing, or doula-ing, or house-birthing, or any of the other cool movements we read about. Instead, we have High Powered Doctors. So I am reading whatever I can to help however I can to know as much as I can to handle whatever comes. (Phew!).

I get the term "coach," which does not strike me as a particularly accurate term, since I can't yell at the team, I have never played this game before, and any instructions I have won't be especially appreciated. Any suggestions on what to call my role? One of the funny things about our class is how the teacher keeps trying to encourage the men that we have "real" work to do. Usually it is little things like making people wash their hands before visiting or fetching ice chips during the delivery. Oh well.

Emily's belly keeps stretching outwards, sort of like Pinocchio's nose. The primary signs of pregnancy are a dancing baby, irregular sleep, and the very rare craving (it was Indian food, which we had take out for lunch). So, that is the excitement here.

2 comments:

Desert Mama said...

As a woman who has gone through over 24 hours of unmedicated labor - 2 things: first, never underestimate the power or importance of moral support during labor. Particularly if Emily is planning an unmedicated labor (don't know if she is or not) but even if she isn't - just being there, reminding her that she can do this - that whole calm, non-anxious presence thing we pastors talk about - that is priceless in labor. Also, learn how to do counterpressure during contractions. E-mail me if you want more information - but basically you push really hard on her lower back during contractions and it has this amazing effect of making them much more bearable. Not painless by any means, but survivable. W. doing this got me through the almost-ready-to-give-up, I can't do this anymore stage of labor with C. last year.
Don't underestimate yourself! You will be the one with the role of supporting her and advocating for your family.

Jon said...

Thanks DM! I'll e-mail soon. It's such a strange process. Your words are very encouraging and we've appreciated your comments.