Monday, January 14, 2008

Baby Class #2

Tonight was our second planning class. Each time the structure is (1) chit-chat or introductions, (2) some overview of the birth process, and (3) a video with discussion.

I have a few comments. First, we are part of a really yuppy childbirth group. I knew this would be the case based on where we live. People make comments like, "well, we are in a starter home--only three bedrooms." Or, tonight, "it took three SUVs to bring home all of the presents from our baby shower." This doesn't really bother me, since it is often paired with "we are trying to figure out how much time we can take off afterwards." Or, from the teacher, "be sure that you have a backup in case your coach is out of town or at work." Hmm.... I'm pretty much always 10 minutes away. One of the many perks of the partially employed academic life. I will get to spend a LOT of time with the little one (easier given that we live in a one bedroom apartment) over many months. No overtime for me!

Actually, I like the classes and the group. We have a kind teacher, who's been doing this for 30 years. She's an encourager, which is what we need. We are probably over-informationed and under-encouraged, so I think this is a good person to learn from. And she has a cool Jersey accent, which is especially entertaining when she is reading us cheesy poetry.

We're not totally enthralled with our doctors, but every concern I have is rooted in our larger medical system. I may post more on this. I'm still thinking it through.

Right now Em's reading about the birth process on line. She just read someone who described the birth process as feeling like she had "swallowed a St. Bernard, and it was trying to escape out of her anus." Maybe I should go try to pry her off of the web before she finds me any more vivid similes.

No comments: