Sunday, May 13, 2012

Grandma

I wrote this last week, but am just posting it now... This last week as Grandma has been in hospice, I've been thinking about her. Along with my other grandparents' home and some aunts and uncles, their home has been one of the constant places to which I have returned throughout my life. I remember crawling in the cupboards, reading some of their classic books (Swiss Family Robinson?), watching TV shows, setting off fire crackers, feeding the birds, Grandpa catching bees in the pedals of a flower, and so many other things. Their house has often been our point of departure or place of return. I remember driving around their block with grandma on my driver's permit (probably not a great idea in retrospect). I remember Crackers sitting on Emily's head as we ate one of the breakfasts that Grandpa cooked. I think I've gotten to their house by bus, train, plane, and car. With Sam a few summers ago, I got to know the park near their house. I always love hanging out at their house. Watching the Wheel of Fortune or the Price is Right or a soap opera or movie. Drinking sanka with breakfast. Raiding the refrigerator. Trips to JC Penny or a flea market. As an adult, it's been fun to see the places my grandparents spend their week. I remember going to a Legion meeting, to the Stallion, to their church. Grandma has always been such a great listener. She tuned into what people were saying and was often very good at figuring out what was going on and what was at stake. I'll miss the late night conversations with her and my dad, listening to them talk through everything. I'm feeling sad for my dad, who talks with her daily, and my mom, who has known her for almost sixty years. When Emily's grandparents died, Emily took them on as her grandparents also, and I know she's feeling sad too. Sam could tell I was upset when she went into hospice, and he has been real sweet. It helps me to see her best traits passed on in the family. She is so grounded, so kind, such a good listener. I love you grandma!

1 comment:

Heidi Haverkamp said...

Prayers and solace to you.