Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thursday...

Today's my long day. Teach three hours, chapel, teacher's meeting, lunch, then two more hours of Local Language. I am always a bit tired by the end of it. Today I used some video clips in class, which worked fairly well, and some charts I'd scanned. My language has come along, but I know I'm probably still incomprehensible a certain amount of the time. Images help a lot with that, since they facilitate discussion and move things away from just lecture.

CDC did another round of spraying on campus today, because some cases were found farther down the mountain (this is third round outside in addition to two rounds inside/outside, if you are counting). Still pretty annoying. The upside continues to be far fewer mosquitoes. Afternoon walks are downright pleasant now.

Tonight Sam's watching the Jonah movie, which is our only Christian-y movie. He really likes it, and Emily just read him several versions of the story of Jonah. This is my name in local language, so I'm thinking of buying some Jonah prints to hang here. I've always like Jonah because the story balances a realism about human hatred with a picture of divine grace.

The babies are doing well. They were both shrieking some today. They seemed generally in fine spirits. They love mosquito spraying because it means an office campus adventure for them. Today they went to the local suburb and walked around while I had class. A nice afternoon.

Tonight I discovered the National Geographic webpage. Sam watched a video about tremulation in tree frogs. He, of course, acted it out with the frog puppet he has. It is a lot of fun to watch for a father whose childhood ambition was to be a herpetologist.

We are feeling a bit more upbeat about life. The first few weeks of the semester had a lot of unknowns, so it feels good to gradually be sorting them out. This is a three day weekend for us coming up, so it will be a lot of child-watching. I also have a cold, so I know we may need some laid back kid time. I'll update if we do any special activities.

No comments: