Sunday, May 1, 2011

Night 5, about the same

Last night I got up with the twins around 3. Eva went back to sleep immediately, but Eli took a long time. I stayed up and worked on a paper (I really like it when no one else is awake) and then went back to sleep. I'm not sure professionally it's acceptable to do a 10-3, 6-9 sleep pattern, but it is kind of working for me. Nonetheless, I think we have basically four longterm sleep possibilities:
(1) Old schedule (mom feeds sporadically throughout night)
(2) Old school cry-it-out (if Eli wants to cry from 3-4, maybe that's okay, and we don't have to get up with him; I'm pretty sure this is what parents used to do in the US; I'm not sure the patting is helping either of them that much)
(3) Try Ferber for a few more weeks
(4) Add a middle of the night feeding. For instance, first time after 2 that one wakes up you go and feed both of them and come back to bed. Then we don't get them again until 6 or 7.
OK, this is probably my last sleep update for a while. I think we are trying to avoid the evils of (1) three kids in our bed, (2) sleepless, misanthropic mom, (3) psychologically wounded children. I think six months is seeming like just the perfect time to take a stab at this and then we'll see where it goes..

No comments: