Saturday, June 20, 2009

Friends indeed

One of the pleasant surprises of the last week has been the chance to connect with Mieke and Shannan, first at Shannan’s installation, and then last night. Here’s a picture of the two watching Rick’s sermon. It was a lot of fun. I also saw Bryan, a friend of the two, who is a local pastor and has done some work with Chinese congregations, and met some of Shannan’s Rumson folk.


Last night we went to Shannan’s parents’ house. Here are some pictures of Sam enjoying an antique fire engine toy. He is such a happy guy. At the restaurant he did several laps around, first with Mieke and then later with me. What 15 month old (birthday tomorrow, timed to coincide with Father’s Day) eats, sits on laps, and plays happily for hours in a crowded restaurant? Lots of fun.



Our stress level is still fairly high as we move. Emily is working back into her topic. She meets with her adviser June 29. Pray for her. It’s hard to write as your house disintegrates and your belongings disappear. Today we got rid of the loveseat, coffee table, recliner, an office chair, etc. We were supposed to get rid of more, but the people didn’t return. We’re basically giving things away—no yard sale (no time).

5 comments:

Sarah S-D said...

oh my goodness, your small baby is a big boy! he's grown so much!!

so glad you all could be together.

praying for all of you and will continue.

Heidi Haverkamp said...

Thanks for these pictures. I like seeing the old friends together. :) And Sam is so tall! And sounds like such a sweet, easy-going guy.

I'm sorry things are tough. And Em's meeting is on your birthday, I think. Ugh. Transitions are just no good. I add my prayers to Sarah's!

LittleMary said...

indeed prayers for you in this stressful time. it was SO great to see you!

Desert Mama said...

It is so good to see you - the picture of the friends together is making me a bit homesick for the eastern part of the country - I miss not being close to friends from earlier phases of life.....
Sam is adorable - I love his curls! And I remember Madeline being like him - content for hours out places - she just loved to watch people and take in what was happening - it was a joy. Catherine is also a joy - but not nearly as easily contented in public.....
Prayers for you all in the transition - changes are tough - and I think adding kids to the mix is just that many layers more to deal with -

Jon said...

I can hardly believe he's gotten so big myself! I probably need to change the blog title.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I knew this would get me, but it's been just a bit rockier than usual. Our pastor today had an African proverb that went something like "good boaters learn from rocky waters." I'm getting it wrong, but I like to think there's something useful/redemptive/helpful in times like this.