Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Wrap Up

Our weekend is again over. It has again (always!) been a fun, exhausting weekend. Emily's the only cold-free one in the family, but we other four did okay. I had a nice nap this afternoon and took the kids on a walk, which was a break for Emily.

We got the twins a jumper second hand from another foreigner. For the first time in a while I had that "they are growing up too fast" feeling. Sam was REALLY excited about the jumper, but, of course, it is for the babies :( He was able to play with all the spinning plastic pieces and the fuzzy little animals, but no jumping for him. We went on Amazon and I showed him pictures of all little babies in it. I told him the babies are too small and he's too big. He's really not jealous much, but I know it will be more of an issue in the coming months and years. I often feel bad that he's having to become the eldest child. Maybe it's the seminary training. I realize that in some sense he's being burdened with an extra expectation of goodness and kindness. We're working hard on him to say please, thank you, and sorry. I praise him when he greets visitors and says goodbye. I try to get him to give hugs to people when they leave. We praise him for helping out with binky's for the twins, or fetching a diaper. I know this is just the way human nature works and we want him to be kind and conscientious, but I still feel a little guilt that he has to be the responsible one.

The babies were very cute today. Eva does a thing where I pull her up the hands and kiss her on the cheek. She really likes that. I also had her doing little leg exercises today, which she loved. I made her do kicking and bicycling motions, and she smiled the whole time. Her little legs are getting very chubby. Eli is still quite the giggler. He's a little easier to get to sleep, although for some reason he wasn't as good of a napper today. Eva's responses seem a bit more urgent. When she's hungry, she's hungry NOW. When she's ready to go to bed, it must happen immediately. I know they still are cycling through personalities--nothing's set in stone yet. They're both pretty good babies.

I got almost nothing else done today. It helps to have beautiful weather. We're in a kind of golden period now. The mosquitoes haven't arrived, it's staying light a bit later, it's not too hot and not too cold. We're leaving behind the cold days, and have not yet reached buggy/roasting.

Other news. I just got some will-maker software, in case Emily and I bump ourselves off. Have any of the other parents out there done a will? Advice? Warnings? (I have this suspicion I lost most of my regular readers after the vasectomy post, but I hope some of you stuck around.) Every so often I have this awareness that, hey, we have a huge number of kids. I felt mildly more responsible with Sam, but now that we're employed and have, you know, fifty pounds of kids running around in three directions, I am wanting to get my act together on things. I have low-level life insurance through denom and have started small college funds, but we're still pretty up in the air on all of this. What does responsible parenthood look like? We're somewhere between the hyper-preparedness of the burbs and the "God will provide" of your classic mission types. A will seems like the responsible thing to do. Anyone? Anyone? The software is pretty straight forward, so I think the main thing will be family-coordination and actually filling out the forms.

Okay, on that note, I am calling it a night. Thank you all for tuning in!

4 comments:

Alisa said...

we don't have a will yet, but seems like we should. just to make clear custody issues with the kids. something we've been meaning to get around to for the last 5 years....

Jon said...

It's one of those funny things because everyone says you should do it, but then I don't think I know anyone who actually has a will in their twenties or early thirties. Perhaps watching the events nearby I've been realizing how complicated things are for us here: residents of a state where we don't live, living abroad, US employer, etc. Not simple at all. So we're going to do the quicken program and send it to family. I tried it last night and it was pretty simple.

jennifer said...

We have one but it was written in 2005 right after we had Kennan. It hasn't been updated since then... maybe I should get on that!!

Jon said...

Thanks Jennifer! We have them written, but now have to actually print them out and get them witnessed. Just after I wrote this I saw an article that said that this one of the things parents worry about but that gets pushed to the back-burner by other more urgent matters.