Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sam helps us pack...

We are now totally out of the apartment. It is not a proud chapter in the family history, and is probably best forgotten. Nonetheless, we're glad that we survived and we did complish a lot:
  • Most of our things did make it out
  • We left "clean"--out of my college office, out of our apartment, out of NJ
  • We are basically surviving. Emily met advisor. I am at conference.
  • We are all still talking to each other

Sam was probably the bright spot in the move. I know that other babies are disoriented by moving, but Sam did very well. He liked walking around and inspecting everything. He loved having barriers to his movement packed away. He expected the same applause getting off the airbed as the regular bed. He gleefully ate the remants of our fridge. He would sometimes "mimic" our packing. So, as Emily looked through papers, he would be throwing handfuls of them in the air. (I am sure this is what packing looked like to him--us throwing our stuff around.0

Some lowlights: packed my social security card and put it in a box to Ohio (I would ideally have used to send on my I9 today). We didn't get totally out of the apartment until 9:30 last night. We gave away--actually this felt kind of good. It helps that our meagre used possessions were going to people who appreciated them and will use them. I told Emily that somehow it is more fulfilling to see someone enthusiastic about taking, say, your boxing gloves from ten years ago which were very expensive, than, say, offering you $2 for them.

I slept last night. I think I will sleep well tonight. The paper will get delivered tomorrow. The documents will be signed. Things will, hopefully, get better and better from here.

4 comments:

Sarah S-D said...

aie. congrats. and i get leaving MUCH later than you intended. we were done about 24 hours after i hoped to be. rolled out of town minutes before i felt we absolutely had to.

ouch on the s.s. card.

and so sorry for the stresses... they will soon be behind you.

glad you're all still talking.

and glad sam fared so well.

love to you.

LittleMary said...

yikes. but you are done. soon you will be there. soon

jennifer said...

I haven't commented in forever, but am still reading!! Glad things are going okay...moves are always soo stressful. I can't even imagine an international move!!

Jon said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement! It is great to be moved down the road a bit. Life has been very, very full (in a good way) these last days.