Friday, November 16, 2007

Names

We are beginning to think about names more consciously now. I'm still not ready to commit to something. It took us five months to go from "it" to "him," so naming now would be a bit premature.

One interesting thing to me is how baby names change over time. This site looks at the frequency of baby names. It always suprises me how I will pick a name that seems unique or distinctive, look it up, and then see that it is on the rise. I looked up my name and saw that, sure enough, it was on the uptick in the 70s. In fact, pretty much everyone in my family was named during a period when their name was spiking or falling.

3 comments:

Heidi Haverkamp said...

I assume that "Rupert" is on the list?

Desert Mama said...

Names are hard - my advice - worth exactly what you are paying for it - is to be careful who you share your thoughts on specific names with. I have known many expectant parents get really hurt by others' (boneheaded) thoughts about a name they really like - which is why we never shared beyond with our parents what we were thinking. We also didn't find out gender ahead `of time, so we had one boy name and one girl name each time. Haven't used the boy name yet - and we decided on that one long before we started thinking about an actual baby....Anyway, happy pondering....

Jon said...

Sadly, Rupert is off the list. My main goal was to talk Rupert into having a son named "Rupert Rupert." Did you know he's in Taiwan now? On the exact same mountain where Em and I lived a year ago. It's crazy.

And don't worry, DM, we don't plan on sharing the name ahead of time. I was writing more here about just getting into the whole process. Not easy!